A primary care physician is more than just a doctor. He is the one who is aware of the details in your medical history, how you react to different sets of medications, your personality, lifestyle, and all your treatment preferences. That intimate knowledge is quite valuable, and it makes a great impact on your health.
Research has proven that people who choose to visit a primary care physician lower their risk of dying of cancer, heart disease and strokes, and are more likely to benefit from coordinated care and have a positive health care experience.
Here, we will discuss five tips to selecting a primary care doctor that’s right for you.
1. Ask for referrals
The foremost step to finding a great doctor is to talk to your family and friends about their great doctors. A recommendation from someone close to you is a great way to identify a skilled and helpful physician. But note that every person is different. A doctor that was good to your friend may not be the right fit for you.
2. Go for a doctor who helps to meet your health requirements
Several different types of doctors are known as primary care physicians – family practice and internal medicine. Other doctors that focus on children are called pediatricians and serve as the primary care physician for your child.
- Family Practice – Family practice physicians treat a wide variety of conditions for patients of all ages, from newborns to the elderly.
- Internal Medicine – Internal medicine physicians treat adults and specialize in the prevention, diagnosis and management of disease and chronic conditions.
- General Practice –Like family practice physicians, general practice physicians can treat patients of any gender or age.
3. Place a cold call
You can place a call to a potential doctor’s office just to get the impression of the practice. The phone etiquette of the office staff at least gives you an idea of what you might expect. You can even inquire about whether they are taking new patients or not.
4. Visit the Doctor
Only when you meet the doctor in person do you get an idea of whether you have selected the right doctor or not.
• Just by entering the doctor’s office, you should feel comfortable enough with the physician and nurses.
- The primary care physician is the provider with whom you can trust to help manage various aspects of your healthcare.
- You can even discuss with them any current medications you may be taking and your medical history to manage any chronic conditions.
- Evaluate other environmental factors in the doctor’s clinic.
- You can just consider the demeanor of the people who greet you when you walk in to know whether they are efficient and friendly.
- Do they answer phones in a timely manner? How long do you have to wait to see the doctor once he or she arrives for your appointment?
Now the wait is over – get in touch with our Primary Care Physicians in your Brooklyn area if you have any non-life threatening medical conditions. In case you have any medical problems and you do not have a primary care provider, then it’s best to seek non-emergency care from any of our Urgent Care Clinics in your Brooklyn area.